What do bumps on the penis along with itching indicate?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2013
Dec 2013
Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
these have been on my penis for 4 days now. There's no pain just very itchy. Started using corti zone cream and miconazole the yesterday and it seems to be helping. Also have trouble holding urine for last few weeks. My body seems to itch a lot too but have no rash or bumps anywhere else. please do your best because I'm not sure I can afford the extra money for a specailist on this app.Also this is the first time this happened and I've been with the same girlfriend for 3 years. thank you
Posted Wed, 26 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 42 minutes later
Brief Answer: Scabies; apply permethrin 5% Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum. I can understand your concern for the bumps on the penis along with itching. On the basis of history provided by you and analyzing all the pictures I can make a possibility scabies. It is mite infection typically starts from the genital region including scrotum and penile region and then in next few days can spread to other sites of body. There is typically intense itching all the time but more so at night time disturbing the sleep of affected persons. In my patients I suggest antiscabetic treatment in the form of permithrin 5% lotion which is to be applied all over the body below neck region once a week. Along with this I prefer to give a single dose of tablet ivermectin 12 mg. I prefer to give antihistamine tablet such as loratadine (claritin) in day for two times and levocetrizine at night time. At the areas of bumps I prefer to give a topical steroid like cortisone (which you are already applying). It is quite important to treat the partner also as it can recur due to cross infection. So apply the same cream in your partner too. A most important part in dealing with scabies is hygiene and cleanliness.You wash your clothes in warm water and iron the creases properly as most of the mites lodge in there. Expose your bedding and lines and all other clothes to direct sunlight for 7 days. I hope these information will help you. I will be glad to answer any further of your queries. Regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD- Dermatology & Sexually transmitted diseases

Follow-up: What do bumps on the penis along with itching indicate? 10 minutes later
thanks. so is there any chance these could be herpes?

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Not herpes Detailed Answer: Hello young fellow, Thanks for your follow up query. The pictures do not appear as herpes. In herpes there are grouped vesicles (fluid filled lesions) which are quite painful and then forms painful ulcers. In you case you can see that the bumps are discrete and not grouped, there is itching rather than pain and there are no ulcers. You should take anti-scabies therapy along with other measures as I suggested. You will be alright soon. I hope these information will help you. I will be glad to answer any further of your queries or if not then can close the query and rate the answer. Regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD- Dermatology & Sexually transmitted diseases