What dietary changes do I need to make to avoid bleeding in stools while on medications for constipation?

I had been on fever/pain reducer meds for about a week and had not had a bowel movement in a few days. I finally did and it was like I was delivering a baby. Now, I have a very red looking hemmorhoid at the openeng of my rectum and am spotting light pink blood. I wanted to know should I have a very loose bowel movement to avoid serious bleeding or not try to have another bowel movement for awhile until this heals. Am using some steroid type hemmorhoid suppositories a Dr prescribed for me awhile back. Dont know what to eat fiber or drink prune juice at this point.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 2 hours later
You are severely constipated which has added to your discomfort with the piles.You need to start yourself on a few thing:
Use a stool softener/laxative at bed time.
Increase fibre in your diet.
Drink lots of water.
Try seitz bath .Add warm water in a tub and sit in it several times a day.
You can use a local anaesthetic like xylocaine jelly before passing stools.
Also you need to be re examined by the doctor to rule out possible active bleeding from the hemorrhoids.
If required surgery might be needed.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.