What could cause a flushed face in a toddler while they are sleeping?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
Just wondering what could cause a flushed face in a toddler while they are sleeping
Posted Fri, 23 Nov 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later
Welcome to HCM
Can you give me some more details.
How preterm was she, birth weight,gestationalage,neonatal course like assisted ventilation details briefly?
The flushed face - is it associated with some other symptoms like a fast heart rate,fever, cough etc.
If none are there , then it must be environmental due to room heating,excessive covering with blanket,etc.
All the best
God bless
Dr Uma
Follow-up: What could cause a flushed face in a toddler while they are sleeping? 1 hour later
Hi she was 5 weeks early with a birth weight of 4lbs 5ozs while in the hospital she got down to 3lb9ozs. However she never spent one min in the NICU. As for her getting a flushed face I have noticed it occurring mostly at night when she is sleeping however I do not believe it is environmental because the air is turned down to mid 60's also a ceiling fan is on during the night and she does not keep a blanket on her. The only other symptoms is restlessness and a fast heart rate. I hope this helps some. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 39 minutes later
Good! So it has nothing to do with her neonatal period.
Neither environmental as you are sure of it!
Also are you sure of possible allergens like face cream,moisturisers,insect repellants etc any of which can cause histamine release and flushng?
Without any of these ,some kids do have flushing at nights for which there is no medical explanation so far.
Any way I am sure you had done recent consultations for her and she was found OK from examination point of view by her pediatrician.
I have enumerated all the possible causes that I can think of!

All the best
Dr Uma