What could be the reason for itchy red birthmark on leg inspite of negative biopsy result for cancer?

Hello! I had a biopsy done of a birthmark on my right leg 10 days ago. It came back free of cancer, but It is really slow to heal and is rimmed in red. It isnt particularly sore, just sometimes a little itchy. When should i be concerned about infection and/or blood poisoning? Thanks!
Posted Sat, 22 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Charu Bansal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: signs and symptoms for infection Detailed Answer: Hello dear, Welcome to healthcaremagic. I have read your query and understood your concern. Thanks for attaching the pic. I am happy to know that the possibility of cancer is already being ruled out by you by biopsy. You should be careful for the following features which point towards infection or blood infction: 1 ) formation of swelling on or around the lesion 2 ) development of redness on or around the lesion 3 ) associated pain or tenderness 4) any discharge from the lesion 5) fever These fetures will alert you for the associated infection . in case you find any of these new features, I will advice you to visit your doctor so that timely treatment can be give. Good luck.