What could be the reason for absence of hair in mustache area?

Dec 2013

I am not having hairs just below the nose, n i want to grow the moustache.
Posted Wed, 12 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: Mostly normal process; Give me more information Detailed Answer: Hi, I can understand your concern for not having hairs on mustache area. It is sometimes really distressing for young men like you for the improper hair growth as per your age. Let me first reassure and counsel you that most of the times your kind of problem is totally normal condition which we very commonly see in day to day practice. Young men like you who do not have hairs on mustache area are quite concerned and anxious to grow them fully by any means. Let you understand some medical facts regarding hair growth: The growth of beard and mustaches is totally dependent upon our genetics, it means whatever genes we are carrying for the growth- from our mother and father's side are responsible for that pattern of hair growth and other of features such health, height and everything. It does not mean that we should be totally alike our parents but it means whatever the pattern was present in our forefathers, the same pattern will be exhibited in ourselves also. We usually see this kind of pattern of less mustaches and beard in Asiatic people especially from Chinese origin and people from some Caucasian families. Other than the normal pattern, sometimes it can be due to less male hormones or endocrinologist problem in a person or due to sudden loss of hair also which is known as Alopecia areata. Alopecia areata is an locally affecting condition where due to formation of antibodies to the hair roots, there is temporary damage to the hair roots. The affected area appears as coin shaped smooth surface as if somebody have shaved it. Let me know some important points from your side that : - Since how long you do not have hairs on mustache area. Is it since your puberty or a recent episode. If it is recent episode then was the hair loss gradual or sudden and is it a circular bald patch or complete mustache area is affected. - do you have proper hair growth at beard area, on arm pit and pubic areas. - do you feel any abnormality in your sexual desire or tumescence of penile area or any erection problem any time or are you sexually active. - how is your family pattern- hair in other male members. It would be best to send few good resolution pictures of the area yourself so that it can be analyzed best. You have a feature to upload images by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better. Or else, you can send as an attachment to YYYY@YYYY with the subject as "Attn: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia). To differentiate between the genetic cause or local cause, let me know above information from your side. I hope these information are helpful. If you have any further queries I will be happy to help. "With good health wishes" Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD- Dermatology