What could be the cause of yellow coloration of the eyes?

What is the cause of yellow colouration on the inner corner of the whites of the eyes? I am a regular drinker.
Posted Fri, 1 Nov 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yellow colour may be because of jaundice

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Health care Magic

Yellow coloration of the eyes is mainly seen in jaundice because of deposition of bile pigments. Since it is more common in drinkers I will consider it first.

The other causes are brown pigmentation seen in chronic conjunctivitis or in allergic conjunctivitis. But these will have symptoms like watering, redness, itching...

If you are not having any symptoms which I mentioned above I advice you to rule out Jaundice by consulting physician.

Hope I have answered your query.

Thank you
Follow-up: What could be the cause of yellow coloration of the eyes? 19 minutes later
If it is jaundice, wouldn't the entire white of the eye be yellow, not just the inner corner? And also my skin?I have never had totally white eyes, and am a smoker if that is of help.

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It can be conjunctival pigmentation

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Health Care Magic

You are right madam, the whole of the white part of the eye will turn yellow.
And as you have told you never had white eyes, the other causes can be
Conjunctival pigment deposition, Chronic conjunctival inflammations...

Since you are not having any eye symptoms and since this yellow colouration is long standing it may be because of conjunctival pigment deposition. The conjunctival pigmentation is known to occur in middle aged and elderly individuals and this will not require any treatment unless it is increasing in size or associated with symptoms like pain, redness...

If you can send me blood investigations reports if you have undergone any in the recent past or a photo of the eye I can tell you more accurately.

Hope I have answered your query.

Thank you