What could be the cause of stool on underwear even after cleaning area properly?

General Surgeon
When I shower I wash my anal area thoughrly. When I put on and take off my underwear it looks as though I didn't wipe good after a bowel movement. It doesn't appear to be leakage. This happens after bowel movements or showering.
Posted Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 37 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Please note that when passing the stool and when relaxed (when sitting) rectal muscle is relaxed. So the space which has a contact with the stool is larger than when the muscle is contracted. So in result, when trying to wipe this area or wash it, it contracts and hides inside as a reflex action. This makes some areas hardly washable. This is one possibility. Other possibility is that you have some loose stool or too much mucus in the stool. If it has appeared some time ago, it might be a symptom of large intestine issue. And as every person older than 50 should have colonoscopy every 10 years when there is no symptoms and colonoscopy right away when any symptom appears, I suggest you to have this test done and rule any bad issues out. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
Follow-up: What could be the cause of stool on underwear even after cleaning area properly? 15 minutes later
Thank you for the response. I had a colonoscopy two years ago and one scheduled for 12/10/2013. No abnormalities noted on the last two exams. I think your first possibility is probably the correct one and I thought something on that order was going on. I don't suppose you have a solution to that problem do you?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: You may try to have sitz baths (put some warm water into the basin and sit in it for 15 minutes). Warm water relaxes muscles and can be helpful in that way. Regards.