What could be the cause of pain in trachea while inhaling which increases while walking ?

I have pain in my windpipe when inhaling. It's from lower sternum to the base of my neck. It's worse when walking. I have no difficulty breathing, no lung pain.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 33 minutes later

The pain in trachea can be due to inflammation of trachea or pharyngitis.

An X-ray lateral view of neck will rule out any abnormal masses compressing the trachea.

The relation to walking can be due to XXXXXXX breathing associated with increased work.

I suggest the following:
1. Try warm saline gargles, steam inhalations.
2. Take menthol logenzes and Tylenol.
3. If you XXXXXXX t feel better in a day or two, please visit the GP and get a throat swab taken for culture and start on antibiotics.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: What could be the cause of pain in trachea while inhaling which increases while walking ? 3 hours later
I guess the problem I have with your suggestions is that my throat does not hurt. The pain stops right at my clavicle. My sternum is somewhat sore on the outside when I press on it. The pain feels XXXXXXX inside and most prevalent about 4-5 inches down from that notch formed by the clavicles.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

The point of your pain corresponds to trachea itself.

The most common cause of such pains is infection or neck masses.

You should also get yourself examined for any swollen neck nodes.

Hope my answer is helpful.

Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.