What could be the cause for tenderness in mouth, swollen lips and red inflammation at the corners of mouth?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2013
Jan 2013

Question
what might be causing a tenderness inside the mouth and swollen lips as well as red inflammation at the corners of the mouth?
Posted Fri, 15 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi XXXX, Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Do you have fever/ fluid filled small vesicles at lips and on buccal mucosa/ chapping of lips/ small white ulcers with surrounding red halo on buccal mucosa?

With the available described details, there could be possibility of angular cheilitis.

Kindly upload pics of affected area, if possible.

Angular cheilitis is commonly caused by vitamin B deficiency i.e. Vit B2, Vit B5 and Vit B6 and exaggerated by lip licking and dried weather.

Acid and enzymes presence in saliva may cause worsening of condition.

At times, candida infection may cause angular cheilitis.

Presence of red inflammation at corners of mouth with tenderness suggests the diagnosis.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ dermatologist and should go for check up.

Meanwhile in my personal opinion, you should apply vaseline, lanolin and should take multivitamin supplements.

Vaseline application may help in recovery by maintaining hydration due to hygroscopic effect and prevents lip licking.

Avoid take hard stuff and big bite orally.

Take care,
Let me know your other associated query.
Wishing a speedy recovery.
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: What could be the cause for tenderness in mouth, swollen lips and red inflammation at the corners of mouth? 5 hours later
Thank you for the info. I do take a daily multivitamin. Also, there are no blisters ands no chapping of my lips. Just the redness and cracking at the corners. My lips feel extremely dehydrated but not chapped. And when I use oral rinse for my mouth, it burns like the inside of my mouth is effected too. I went to my PCP about 6 weeks ago and he gave me an RX for a cortisoid ointment that did absolutely nothing. I also went to my dentist and they gave me a medicated oral rinse. I've been alternately using the rinse and warm salt water morning and night.

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hi, You should apply vaseline and lanolin for reco

Detailed Answer:
You should apply vaseline and lanolin for recovery.
You should continue multivitamin supplements.
As per my personal opinion, corticosteroid ointment won't work in your case as angular cheilitis is most commonly due to vitamin deficiency.
If severe pain is present then you should apply glycerine before taking meals. this will give you soothing effect with no hindrance in eating.

Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava