What could be the cause for red, swollen and intermittently painful toes?

Bob's 3rd toe is red, swollen, & intermittently painful, since 8/13. A very recent MRI confirmed NO osteomyletis. Otrauma. Took antibiotics for more than 1 month. Podiatrist, internist, both stumped. He has diabetes and is overweight.
Posted Thu, 2 Jan 2014 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: Could you send a photo of Bob's 3rd toe? Detailed Answer: Hi, I read the history of XXXXXXX and understood his concerns. I feel sorry for the health situation XXXXXXX is in (which is very complicated in fact). I am also glad to know that there is no sign of osteomyelitis or trauma in his MRI findings. XXXXXXX is having diabetes and is overweight too. His swollen and red toe could be infected. Usually, infection is very hard to get healed in diabetics, especially when their diabetes is not well controlled and being overweight. So, the very first thing is to stabilize his blood sugar. Once it is optimized, he will get relief of his swollen toe. Could you please send a picture of the swollen toe and any test results that XXXXXXX has done? That will be of great help in assisting you further! Thank you! Dr.Alba
Follow-up: What could be the cause for red, swollen and intermittently painful toes? 29 minutes later
I am trying to find the upload pictures button again. I saw it once but now see only a report upload, which doesn't work. Do you have an email address I can send pictures to? Thanks so much for answering.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 15 hours later
Brief Answer: Can send pictures YYYY@YYYY Detailed Answer: Hi again Can send the pictures at YYYY@YYYY with the subject: "Attn to Dr.Albana Sejdini" Looking forward to assist you further! Dr.Alba