What could be the cause for occasional chest pains?

I have been getting occasional pains in my chest for the past 2 years. They normaly last only about 10-20 secs, the worst lasted nearly 30 secs and I did call the ambulance. Heart tests and X-rays showed up nothing. These pains start in my hands, go up my arms and across my chest. What is the problem and what should I do. Thank you XXXXXXX Sim
Posted Fri, 10 Jan 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Get examined / investigated Detailed Answer: Dear friend, Welcome to Health Care Magic You should see an Internist / get yourself examined / at times, basic investigation may be necessary... Your symptoms do not suggest Coronary Artery Disease (CAD). Pain from the heart is oppressing, in central chest (and left), worse on effort, relieved by rest, may radiate to shoulders and arms, associated with sweating and so on. However, at this age ECG must be done / if normal, it is better to have a Treadmill Exercise Electrocardiogram (TMT). X-ray of chest and cervical spine are also in order – the symptoms are suggestive of nerve root irritation from cervical spondylosis… Good luck Take care Wishing all well God bless
Follow-up: What could be the cause for occasional chest pains? 22 hours later
I have had my chest x-rayed, but not my spine. Is it likely that a neck/cervical problem is going to cause problems which definitely start in my hands? Thank you XXXXXXX Sim
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes Detailed Answer: Hello Yes... The nerves for the hand arise from the cervical part of the spinal cord (C5-T1)...and is a very common presentation. MRI is the usual approach... The pain could be radiating or referred from another place... Local issues like carpal tunnel (nerve compression at wrist) are also likely in some - especially obese, hypothyroid and so on. Regards