What could be the cause for itchy sensation around anus?

Question
Over the past month I have been feeling strange sensations in my anus area. It almost feels like something coming in and out and sometimes squirming around. I've had itchy areas around my anus for a few years that I have treated with creams... but recently I have experienced this new sensation and it is freaking me out.
Posted Thu, 19 Dec 2013 in Constipation

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: Rule out hemorrhoids Detailed Answer: Dear patient, Thanks for your query. Judging by the location of the symptoms, as well as the sensation of something coming intermittently in and out, hemorrhoids, either external or internal, must be ruled out by physical examination. These are benign dilatation of normal veins of the anal canal, that usually get worse in the setting of a low fiber diet and constipation. They can be however, quite symptomatic. Hope that helps, wish you the best, Dr Brenes-Salazar MD Mayo Clinic MN

Follow-up: What could be the cause for itchy sensation around anus? 18 minutes later
Thank you for the response. The only other thing that I seem to be seeing with similar symptoms is possible pinworms or some other type of parasite. What are your thoughts on those possibilities?

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: Possible but less likely Detailed Answer: Those are also in the differential diagnosis. Pinworms itch like nothing you may have experienced before, mostly at nighttime, insatiable need to scratch the anus. Other parasites, such as ascaris, if coming out of the anus, you probably would have seen in the stool. Providing a stool sample for ova and parasites by the provider who examines would rule these out in a definitive way. Hope that helps, wish you the best, Dr Brenes-Salazar MD Mayo Clinic MN