What could be the cause for high white blood cell count when suffering from gout?

Jul 2016

my husband (77) had a routine blood(twice) test to prepare for elective (benign)prostate surgery in 2 weeks.. both times he has had a high white blood cell count so he is being sent to an oncologist in a week. His surgery has a chance of being cancelled because of this. Coincidentally,today he started rx for gout (which he has had 3 x in the past 5 yrs).The wbc was higher the second time possibly because of the gout factor? the oncologist step seems quite scary to me. The family doctor has no theories as to what infection he is fighting. my husband says he feels "fine" How worried should we be? thank you for your response.
Posted Fri, 7 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer: High W.B.C. count indicates presence of infection Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have benign enlargement of prostate and is planned for surgery. On toutine pre operative check up he is found to have high white blood cell count which indicates presence of infection may be in the prostate itself. Normally every surgeon prefers to operate in absence of infection as there are chances of flaring up and spreading infection in blood during surgery leading to unnecessary untoward complication like septicaemia. There is nothing to be scary about it .He will be prescribed appropriate antibiotics to combat infection and will be taken up for surgery once the infection is well controlled, May be it will be postponed for a week or two. As regards your doubt about the high W.B.C.count could be due to Gout that he has,I would state that gout is due to metabolic disorder (Uric Acid metabolism)) and there is no infective element involved in gout. Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.
Follow-up: What could be the cause for high white blood cell count when suffering from gout? 3 hours later
Hi Dr XXXXXXX I appreciate your prompt response. I was "hoping" the high white blood count could be due to onset(2/19) of gout, but from what you said, no. The two blood tests were on 2/16 and 2/17. The one on 2/17 was even higher (wbc). I don't know why you connect the high count to the prostate necessarily. (It just happens the turp prostate event is in the near future but other than frequent urination, no infectious symptoms). And I realize that the body has many organs that need to be ruled out for infection, but the scary part is having to go from a family practictioner straight to the oncologist. Or maybe that is typical to have the oncologist expedite verdict because of surgery date 1/30? I am equating "oncology" with cancer certainty and I probably should not. But why couldn't practitioner do further investigation of infection sources? Not expecting you to answer the last question, but if you can that would be great! Thank you for any further insights you may have.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Please consult Urologist. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for follow up. I was also puzzled why he is referred to oncologist when he is suspected to have Benign Enlargement of prostate.Most of the times benign enlargement of prostate is associated with Chronic Prostatitis. In absence of symptoms pertaining to other organs it is primarily Enlarge prostate with Prostatitis that attracts first impression. Please discuss this with your family Physician and consult qualified Urologist for evaluation and further treatment. Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.
Follow-up: What could be the cause for high white blood cell count when suffering from gout? 10 hours later
thank you for your 2 responses. we will follow up with family doctor next week.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Please go ahead and visist your family Physician, Detailed Answer: llo Thanks for writing again . Please consult your family Dr and discuss about the reason he being referred to Oncologist . Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.