What could be the cause for fatigued and painful wet cough?

I'm a 50 year old female... Started feeling achey & fatigued a week ago. Quickly got worse with very deep, painful wet cough. When I cough it sounds "wet" & I can feel the mucus in my upper chest but can't seem to expel it. In the night and mornings I do seem to cough up the mucus into my mouth but reflex makes me swallow it (yes I know.... disgusting!). I've felt unbeleivably exhausted and muscles have ached all week day & night. But... NO fever, NO congestion... No neck pain or headaches beyond a migraine which I'm already prone to get. I wake up feeling like there's an elephant (a very very large pregnant one!) on my chest. Symptoms are getting worse over the week but always sort of manageable during day much worse at night and morning. Can't get into a minute clinic but will go see my doc tomorrow as I have underlying autoimmune condition and takes lots of meds (crohn's combined with some nervous system dysfunction... Neuropathy etc etc). Still... I've been ignoring this & now wondering what could be going on. Thoughts? I really will follow up w my doc ASAP but not sure if I should call theiron call service today. Would live your thoughts on diagnosis regardless. Many thanks!!
Posted Sat, 14 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Chest infection. Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. In my opinion it may be a chest infection(Consolidation of the lung). It may be caused by viral or bacterial infection. Individuals with autoimmune disease are prone to develop pneumonia(chest infection). It is good that you have desired to consult your doctor. In this situation in would advice my patient to take chest X ray to rule out chest infection. Prescribe bronchodilator and expectorant to ease the airway and to help bring out the mucus. I will put him on a course of antibiotics to treat the infection. Hope the answer helps you. Let me know if there is any clarification. Regards.