What could be the cause for blood in semen?

I have what appears to be blood in my seman Could this be an indicator of a serious problem? Could this be caused by the medications I an on for High Blood pressure?
Posted Mon, 23 Dec 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: Uncontrolled BP or infection---------------------- Detailed Answer: Welcome to the forum. Two usual causes for blood in the semen are Uncontrolled blood pressure and inflammation/infection of the prostate/seminal vesicles. If the blood stops and the BP is well under control, there should be no worry. Inspite of blood pressure control, if there is blood, then semen culture test is necessary to look for evidence of infection. Both of the above causes are treatable/ curable and there is no need to worry. It is NOT due to medicines taken for BP control. Hope i have made things clear. Welcome for any doubts that you might have, Truly,