What contraceptives are available other than condoms to prevent pregnancy ?

Hi, may I answer your health queries right now ? Please type your query here...
Hi Doctor,

Me and my wife would like to adopt some contraceptive measure other than using condoms. Pls. suggest what is the most safest.
Thanking You,
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

There are several methods which are safe and effective and very commonly used.

The first consideration would be that of an intrauterine device or IUD. This is a small object placed in the uterus by a physician. It stays there and prevents pregnancy for as long as it is in place. There are minimal side effects and no need to take daily medication with this.

Next choice would be a birth control pill. There are many formulations of these with low doses of hormones which are very well tolerated also.

Another choice would be a Nuva Ring. This is a tiny ring inserted into the vagina which has hormones on it which slowly are absorbed by the female body. This also is safe and effective.

All of these options need to be supervised by a physician who would provide a prescription for them

There are really no good over the counter remedies which are safe and effective other than condoms.

Thanks again for the query, I am here if you ahve any followups.

Dr. Galamaga