What causes white substance formation under the foreskin of penis?

General Surgeon
Dear Sir, I am 32 years old male. Since last 1 year I am having this white substance formation under the foreskin of my penis. I cannot retract my foreskin backwards and when I try, it cracks and bleeding takes place.In addition, the thin layer release foul smell. The white substance comes up everyday even after cleaning it with water.It causes irritation and the cracks to the skin is painful. Also, the skin between penis and scrotum; the skin appears to be dry and white flakes appear on the skin when dry and when moist due to sweating it appears to be dirt accumulated to the skin (dark skin color). Please advice and suggest medication for permanent cure ; and please recommend a visit to Urologist / Dermatologist would be helpful. Thanks
Posted Tue, 11 Mar 2014 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: Circumcision is necessary. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Your condition is called phimosis. Due to too tight foreskin you can not retract the foreskin. Such condition in adults usually appears due to inflammation process in the penis area. Inflammation causes increased scar tissue grow in the foreskin what makes it narrow. When trying to retract it, you cause wounds (cracks) where bacteria can easily gets. This makes whole process even stronger. The white substance is called smegma. It appears due to penis glands kind of mucus secretion which accumulates (as you are unable to clean it completely). This substance makes a great environment for infection. As your infection can be either bacterial or fungal, swab test is necessary to determine the factor of this infection. For sure you need some steroids cream along with antifungal or antibiotic. You should also try to keep it cleaner so the white substance wont be present. The permanent treatment for you is surgery (circumcision will be necessary). This procedure will release the foreskin and will allow you to have this area clean and infection free. Please consult Urologist with this issue. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
Follow-up: What causes white substance formation under the foreskin of penis? 6 minutes later
Dear Sir, Please suggest steroids cream along with antifungal or antibiotic medication. Regards XXXX
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: It is not a good idea to use it without diagnostics. Such cream should be prescribed by a doctor. You may try Betamethasone Dipropionate + Clotrimazole + Gentamicin Sulfate containing cream (dont know Brand name in India). Regards.