What causes vaginal pressure during menstrual cycle?

Mar 2014
I am 36 and no longer taking birth control. Is it normal to feel a ton of vaginal pressure during menstrual cycle? It feels almost like my inside parts are trying to push themselves out?? I have never noticed this before.
Posted Sun, 9 Mar 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Madhuri N Bagde 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: Do not worry, the symptom is common Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX Thanks for using HCM. Increased vaginal pressure during menstrual cycle is not an uncommon phenomenon. There are many causes for this. The blood flow to the pelvis increases during the premenstrual and menstrual phase. This leads to stagnation of blood and may give rise to a feeling of pressure. Other reasons are prolapse of the uterus and cervix. In this the uterus loses its support that holds it inside the body. Thus it tends to sag down through the vagina. Organs adjacent to the vagina and uterus like the urinary bladder and rectum may also behave in a similar fashion. These are common findings giving rise to pressure. Usually this pressure is felt throughout the cycle in many women, but some may feel it more during the menses. Tumors of the uterus like fibroids [non cancerous tumors, very common] may also give rise to pressure symptoms. They may also cause increased menstrual flow. Tumors of cervix may protrude through the vagina and give rise to feeling of pressure. The best way to know the cause is to get an examination by a gynecologist to look for potential causes and also an ultrasound examination of the uterus and ovaries. So please get it done. Meanwhile you may try kegels exercises [ I have provided information on these exercises ta the end of the answer] to strengthen the muscles of the pelvis. Further treatment will depend upon the cause. Hope this satisfies your query. Thanks for using HCM. Feel free to ask any more questions that you may have. Dr Madhuri Bagde Consultant Obstetrician and Gynecologist How to do Kegel exercises Which muscle needs exercise: To identify this, stop urination in midstream. The muscle that is contracted to stop the urine is the muscle that is needed to be exercised. Similarly try stopping the stool. The muscle that contracted is the one that needs exercise. Empty your bladder and lie on your back, tighten the muscles, hold for five seconds, and relax for five seconds. Repeat as many times as you can increasing the duration of holding as you build up. Do not flex the muscles in your abdomen, thighs or buttocks. Do not hold your breath during exercise. These can be done as many times as possible and even while performing your daily chores. Do not do these exercises while emptying the bladder or rectum as this may lead to weakening of muscles rather than strengthening them.