What causes tingly feeling in left hip outside the thigh when standing?
User rating for this question
My son who is 14 gets a tingly feeling in his left hip and slightly down the outside of his thigh when standing still in one position what could be the cause of this??
Posted Sun, 19 Jan 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Meralgia Paresthetica. Conservative management. Detailed Answer: Hello, Your son is suffering from a type of neuropathy called Meralgia paresthetica. This is due to the compression of the nerve that supplies sensation to the skin surface of your thigh. This is usually due to compression of Lateral Femoral Cutaneous Nerve. There are few causes for Meralgia Paresthesia. Even the tight clothing and tight belt can cause this. Other causes are direct injury to pelvis, obesity and repetitive motion like heavy cycling. No special investigation need to diagnose the condition. Because physical examination and complete neurological examination is enough to make diagnosis. But some basic investigation like X-ray Hip, Electromyography will be done to rule out other causes like radiculopathy. Usually treatment is conservative like Wearing looser clothing, Losing weight and pain relievers such as acetaminophen and muscle strengthening exercises. If symptoms persist for more than two months or your pain is severe, treatment may include steroid injections. Surgery is the final option to release the compressed nerve. It is recommended only when all the medical measures fails. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.
People also viewed
- Will iud causes thigh and hip pain
- What causes weak hips
- What causes hip pain and radiating to the thighs
- What causes hip spasms
- Chiari malformation and intimacy
- Chin tingling, lightheaded
- Is there any chinese medicine for progressive supranuclear palsy
- Worst artery to be blocked
- Aortic valve replacement surgery recovery
- Carotid artery tumor
- Cigarette smoking and myoclonic seizures
- What causes hip pain on standing
- Procedures of chronic microvascular disease in the periventricular neoplasms
- Armour thyroid for hashimotos
- Armpit sweat problem