What causes tickly cough after a flu recovery?

Excellent

Question
Good morning or good evening. Hi doctor i have had a tickly cough for the last few days. I have recently recivered from a flu around xmas time. I dont smoke and never have. I am not having coughing fits and it seems to be worse when lying down or when i think about it too much. It seems there is phlem but nothing comes up. My chest doesnt hurt and i dont have temperature or anything. I am a very anxious person and suffer from panic attacks. What could it be? A viral thing? Or serious? Pls let me know. Thanks in advance.
Posted Wed, 29 Jan 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Viral infection. Salt water gargle, cough supprese Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to XXXXXXX I have gone through your query and understand your concern. Tickly coughs result from an irritation in the throat (pharynx) and the cough is triggered to relieve this feeling of irritation. It is usual to have the minimal mucus secretion in throat as a result of response to infection. It is most commonly caused by cold and viral infection. Tickly coughs can linger days or weeks after the infection appears to have resolved. It is unlikely that antibiotics will help people suffering from a tickly cough as these drugs only work on bacteria and most tickly coughs are the result of viral infections. Please stay away from the cough triggers like smoke, cold air, pollution etc. Cough suppressants include pholcodine, dextromethorphan and codeine will be helpful for cough. Have Saline gargles for 3 to 4 times daily. Not only does salt water flush out mucus and other bacterial material (just like any fluid would), a salty environment prevents microorganisms from growing. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.

Follow-up: What causes tickly cough after a flu recovery? 4 hours later
So nothing to worry about?

Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes. You do not need to worry about this cough. Detailed Answer: Hello, You need not to worry about this viral infection in throat. It will subside on it own in few days or a week. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.

Follow-up: What causes tickly cough after a flu recovery? 1 hour later
Is there any thing for me to do?

Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 23 hours later
Brief Answer: Nothing. Please follow above said advises. Detailed Answer: Hello. Please follow the above said advises. Nothing to worry about. Wishing you good health.

Follow-up: What causes tickly cough after a flu recovery? 5 hours later
Does it take so long to heal? I am trying to bring up mucus but it seems a tickly stubborn cough. Is this common? Aorry doctor my last question

Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 4 hours later
Brief Answer: may there for a week to 10 days. Salt water gargle Detailed Answer: Hello, Minimal mucus secretion is usually difficult to bring out by cough. Salt gargles and cough suppressants would be helpful for you. Viral infection may persists for a week or ten days. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.