What causes swollen toes with burning sensation?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
For the last four years my toes and the balls of my feet to the tips of my toes have felt numb or like they are swollen and sunburned. Physically they look fine. But they have the burning sensation ALL the time. I lived on Guam for three years before and wore flip flops every day I was there because of the heat...I did not have a problem until leaving Guam. I haven't worn flip flops since. Could I have damaged the nerves in my feet?
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 44 minutes later
Brief Answer: I will advise you to do MRI spine. Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case. First possibility could be lumbar canal stenosis leading to numbness and pain in your foot. Due to compression of this nerve root there can be foot pain associated with it. Severe compression of spinal cord can lead to nerve damage. I will advise you to do MRI spine. Burning sensation in foot can also be due to vascular occlusion so I will advise to do colour Doppler of leg to check for circulation and EMG-NCV [nerve conduction] For these symptoms analgesic and neurotropic medication can be started. Till time, avoid lifting weights, Sit with support to back. You can consult physiotherapist for help. Physiotherapy like ultrasound and interferential therapy will give quick relief. I will advise to check your vit B12 and vit D3 level. My patients get good relief with holistic approach like pranayama, yoga, and XXXXXXX XXXXXXX You can also start them. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care