What causes swollen eyelid that has a purple mark on it?

I have a swollen eyelid that has a purple mark on it
Posted Tue, 21 Jan 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer: SWELLING OF EYELID IS SEEN IN VARIETY OFCONDITIONS Detailed Answer: Hello Welcome to Health Care Magic Iam Dr. DADAPEER K, an Ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye. It seems from the history that you are having swollen eye lid with a purple mark on it. Swelling of the eye lids is present in variety of conditions like following injury, in inflammatory conditions and the treatment depends on the cause. Hence Please do mention whether it is localized swelling or diffused swelling? Whether it is painful or painless? Whether it is associated with redness of eyes? Whether there was any history of injury? If possible you can send a photo of the affected eye so that I can advice you more accurately. Thank you Dr. Dadapeer K
Follow-up: What causes swollen eyelid that has a purple mark on it? 59 minutes later
It come with every period i have.
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer: This is bleeding related to menstruation. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thank you for the follow up query. I went through the follow up question and the photograph which you have sent along with the question. The lesion you are having is because of collection of blood under the skin of the eye lids and it is called as ecchymosis of eye lids. Ecchymosis of eye lids during menstruation/periods is a relatively rare but seen commonly in clinical practice. It is because of hormonal changes during menstruation. The condition does not require treatment other than cold compress for the swelling. It should disappear within one week. If you are bleeding from other sites like nose then it requires consultation with your Gynecologist doctor for treatment. Hope the information is helpful to you. Thank you