What causes swelling of upper lip and swelling on jaw line?

What cause swelling of the upper lip and swelling both jaw line.
Posted Tue, 24 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If sudden get medical help asap.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

There are many causes for the same. If assuming your medical history is nil apart from Hypertension, then allergies, bug bites, food/drug intake related figure up the list.

The one thing to watch out for is angioedema - wherein it will steadily progress all over the facial region and make breathing difficult. You will need medical help right away.

I also suggest your thyroid status check, considering your age, Hypertension and these symptoms if not have been sudden. A clinical history with examination will do best to confirm the same, if required by the examining doctor.

If you have not been exposed to any allergen - food or otherwise and if this swelling has not been sudden, the chances of allergy are lesser. You may need a jab for getting the swelling down in case.

I do not think other infectious reasons would be true in your case, unless you have accompanying history like fever, constitutional symptoms related to infections.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet, MBBS, MD.
Consultant Physician.