What causes swelling from foot to above the knee when suffering from Myelodysplastic syndrome and diabetes?

I have just been diagnosed with MYelodysplastic syndrome. I also have diabetes and ulcers on both legs. They are not infected. The past few days my legs have been swelling from my foot to above the knee. Any ideas as to what this could be oris it part of the mds?
Posted Tue, 14 Jan 2014 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Due to Anemia by MDS. RBC Transfusion. Detailed Answer: Hello, I have gone through your query and understand your concern. As you suspected, swelling in the leg could be a part of Myelodysplastic syndrome provided you have anemia. Because Myelodysplatic syndrome affects the Red blood cell formation and anemia. Anemia can cause water retention by variety of pathophysiological phenomenon ending in pedal edema ( swelling in both limbs). You can contact your doctor nearby and get your hemogloblin checked. If you have the recent blood work, please upload so that I can review and find out the possible cause. if not, then please do the complete blood check such as hemoglobin, RBC count, Total WBC, Differential count etc. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.