Reason for becoming iron deficient. Is blood transfusions only option?

Why am I continually becoming iron deficient. I have had every test done with no results. It seems that blood transfusions seem the only answer. Is that so?
Posted Sun, 10 Nov 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
In your specific case, transfusion is only option

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I understand your frustration, which is why I shall start by first listing the possible causes in your particular case for the persistent iron deficiency anemia, they are:
-Lack of iron in your diet
-Inability to absorb iron: Eg. in patients with a part of the small intestine removed (which could be the cause in your case)

Treatment usually targets treating the cause, and then correction with either supplements (tablets; takes more time to be corrected) or transfusions (less time to get corrected). But as yours is one that is permanent, despite being prescribed iron supplements immediately after the surgery (if this was the case), it wouldn't have helped as it would not have been absorbed into your blood stream. So in your specific case, I am sorry to say but blood transfusions are the only option of treatment ma'am.

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications ma'am, I would be more than happy to help.

Best wishes.