What causes sudden weight loss and pain in neck?

ENT Specialist
I sometimes feel a dull pain in my neck and when I put slight pressure on the front of my neck near my XXXXXXX XXXXXXX I feel like cartilage is moving and it kind of crackles and sometimes the pain goes away. I've never noticed this before and only did after Feeling my glands were hard and started to feel in other places. I've recently lost a considerable amount of weight without really trying and haven't been able to get checked could this be thyroid related? what could it be? and how urgently should I get checked?
Posted Wed, 12 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: Take analgesics for few days Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Coming to the weight loss part first, with no other associated symptoms, hyperthyroidism is a possibility but usually is associated with increased heart rate, loss of sleep, feeling of warmth and increased appetite. You have stated none of these but still you should go for a thyroid function test in consultation with your GP. Regarding pain in neck and crackling sound in pressing, pain can have various reasons varying from some muscular pull to slight infection of throat or some element of thyroiditis (inflammation if thyroid gland). Steam inhalation and some analgesic should deal with these and thyroiditis is usually self limiting is slight. In case pain increases, please get an ENT examination done. Crackling sound is usually normal and it is like with pain you became more aware of this thing as must be frequently touching this area. Nothing to worry about. In brief, please take some analgesic for 3-4 days along with steam inhalation. In case pain does not subside, do consult an ENT. For thyroid function tests, you can have these but not an emergency, fix your appointment and get these done. Feel free to ask another query. Regards