What causes smelly and yellow vaginal discharge after unprotected sex?

Hi, I had unprotected intercourse two nights ago with a new partner. This is the first time I've had sex for some time. The following afternoon I developed a yellow discharge. Not particularly malodourous but does have a faint pus-like smell. We had sex again last night and the yellow discharge continues but is now accompanied by a fairly heavy watery discharge which is blood tinged. (my period is due in a couple of days so may be relevant). Could this be BV? How long should I wait before seeing a doctor for swabs. I did not have any pre-existing infections. Thanks.
Posted Tue, 18 Feb 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: Likely to be BV. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. Of course a discharge like this is not normal and usually reflects an infection of either bacterial, fungal or parasitic origin. It is impossible to guess what the cause is without the benefit of examining you and performing a microscopic exam of the discharge. The discharge can be examined now also and there is no need to wait. I suspect however that what is causing this is either bacterial vaginosis or possibly a sexually transmitted disease. For this reason I recommend you see your doctor as soon as possible for an examination and appropriate medical management. This will usually respond quickly with a properly selected antibiotic. Trichomoniasis can cause these symptoms and is always transmitted sexually. Avoid any sexual intercourse till then. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Follow-up: What causes smelly and yellow vaginal discharge after unprotected sex? 20 minutes later
Hi and thanks for your response. I will get swabs done by my doctor. If my period comes before I can get an appointment, would I have to wait until it has finished before having swabs? Also would I need to repeat the swabs in 2 weeks just to make sure nothing has been missed (given it has only been a couple of days since I had unprotected intercourse and there is a risk something like chylamidia may not show up yet) ? Can Trichomoniasis or another STI show symptoms so quickly after intercourse? The yellow discharge appeared less than 24 hours post intercourse. And one last question - can bacterial vaginosis have a yellow discharge? Thanks so much for your help.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 16 hours later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. Yes you should wait till the period finishes for the swab. Getting a repeat swab is recommended if there are any persistent symptoms or any new discharge appears. The symptoms usually take 48 hours to appear but since the discharge is present an infection needs to be ruled out. Yes. BV can have a yellow foul smelling discharge. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards