What causes smell from legs when wearing support bandages for leg circulation?

Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
My father has a problem with his leg circulation and wears Juxta Lite support bandages. Recently one of legs started to smell like almonds. Otherwise, the Juxta lite bandages seem to be helping the legs - there is little swelling now but the one leg that smells like almonds is oozing liquid.
Posted Wed, 19 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: symptoms possibility of cellulitis can be conside Detailed Answer: Hello I have studied your case. As per your history and symptoms possibility of cellulitis can be considered. Smell can be due to collection of serous fluid below tissue. If no signs of infection then skin reaction can be possible. You may need to investigate in form of complete blood count, ESR, CRP, Consulting your doctor infection /cellulitis can be confirmed, and antibiotic can be started according to examination. If required you may need to do blood investigation for prognosis and recovery. Colour Doppler study will help to know cause of edema. You may need to do regular cardiac check up again as it may aggravate edema. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care

Follow-up: What causes smell from legs when wearing support bandages for leg circulation? 8 minutes later
He has had cellulitis in the past (and treated with antibiotics). He does see an infectious disease doctor who recommended the Juxta-lite bandages but he did not recommend an antibiotic. I was worried though about the new development of the almond smell. Should I take him back to the doctor even though he just saw him a few weeks ago? Thank you for your reply.

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes you should take doctors consultation Detailed Answer: Hello again Any discharge [oozing] with altered smell [almond] indicate collection of fluid which may be infectious,so you need to consult your doctor for local examination. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.

Follow-up: What causes smell from legs when wearing support bandages for leg circulation? 9 hours later
Thank you. I will do that.

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 13 hours later
Brief Answer: Welcome Detailed Answer: Take care