Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes small amount of discharge from my penis after being diagnosed with streptococcs agalactiae in urethral culture?

Jul 2016

Hello, I was diagnosed with streptococcs agalactiae in may of last year after a urethral culture. It also tested negative for Chlamydia Trachomatis, and N.Gonorrhea. I was prescribed pyostacine. I was working in Vietnam at the time and took the medicine before returning home. I returned to Vietnam about 1 month ago and am now experiencing the same symptoms as last year. A slight itch and a small amount of discharge if I squeeze the tip of my penis. I am planning on taking another round of medication and would like a recommendation of which medicines I should take and for how long? XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 29 Jan 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 5 hours later
Brief Answer: It could be UTI or Fungal infection. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you had Staphylococcal infection of urinary system last year which was treated successfully with Pyostacine. Now you have itching of the glans penis and slight discharge,I would like to state that it may not be recurrence of Staphylococcal infection but simple UTI due to other bacteria. Since you have itching at the glans penis the possibility of fungal infection has to be ruled out. Please consult qualified Urologist for clinical examination and get following basic tests done to help in diagnosis. 1) Routine urine test and urine culture done to find out the organisms causing this infection and antibiotics to which they are sensitive to. 2) Swab test of discharge from penis and culture and sensitivity of discharge. 3) Blood sugar estimation to rule out Diabetes. Please take broad spectrum antibiotics like Cefexine along with urinary antiseptic like Nitrofurantoin twice daily and urine alkaliser thrice daily.Later on switch on to appropriate antibiotics as per culture report. Get the prescription of medicines from your family Physician. Ensure to drink more water.To keep your urine dilute This will help to control dysuria. Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.