What causes shortness of breath after eating rice?

General Surgeon
I have daily bouts of shortness of breath after I it rising acid getting into my lungs? Ive got mild asthma the gp said but my renal specialist says he cant hear any signs of asthma.My kidneys are still functioning as I have Polycystic kidney.My stomach feels like its going to burst.All I ate for tea was chicken thigh fillets in breadcrumbs,chicken gravy.pumpkin.potatoes and pumpkin.the shortness started immediately.Im still very swollen.Food allergy?
Posted Mon, 3 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: Asthma attack. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. It sounds like asthma attack due to some allergic reaction or lungs hyperactivity. Asthma does not give signs which can be heard all the time. Usually only during the attack some wheezing breath can be heard. Recurring cough is also very characteristic for asthma. Food allergy gives usually instant diarrhea and abdominal pain. So this is less probable at your case. There is a stomach issues which very often associates asthma. It is called GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease). This condition gives burning in the chest area, nausea, cough and acid taste in the mouth. Acid reflux intensification can strengthen asthma symptoms and give shortness of breath. Here is what you should do: - consult pulmunologist, have spirometry and consider some asthma medicines change (dont know what you take for asthma) - consult gastrologist, PPIs (proton pump inhibitors) should be prescribed (like Omperasole) - avoid fatty foods, spicy foods, coffee, alcohol, fruit juices, chocolate, Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
Follow-up: What causes shortness of breath after eating rice? 36 minutes later
Thankyou for your reply.Ive had the gastroscopy done and all was well, im lactose intolerant though.I am on symbicort preventer and ventolin if required.I have had a crawly burny feeling in my lower throat so im thinking the acid is causing this now youve mentioned this.many foods I find indigestible. I will start on an antacid.Thanks for your time.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: Gastroscopy is not used to diagnose GERD. 24 hours pH monitoring test should be done in case of doubts. But firs antiacids should be tried. Most of the patient respond for such treatment. Regards.