What causes running nose,cold,headache and sore throat?

I am 27 female 50kg with runny nose and cold like symtoms for just over a week now including very runny nose (clear and watery) headache, sore throat, mild fevor. Yesterday the clear mucus turned to yellow. It's a very bright yellow, almost green and quite thick. No more sore throat but feeling quite congested around nose have sore tierd eyes. No pain around face, just feeling tired and drained and slight headache. Should I be seeing a doctor for antibiotics or riding this out? Thankyou XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 19 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Antibiotics are required for treatment in yourcase Detailed Answer: Hello Welcome to Health care magic It seems from the history that you are having running nose, cold, headache, sore throat, fever for 1 week. All these symptoms indicate upper respiratory tract infection involving the nose, paranasal sinuses and throat. Usually these infections are viral infections to begin with and later becomes bacterial as a result of secondary infection. The discharge which was clear mucus has turned yellow indicates the secondary bacterial infection. The symptom of feeling congested around nose and sore eyes indicate infection of the paranasal sinuses resulting in sinusitis. The treatment of the condition in the initial stages when the infection is viral is by symptomatic treatment by using decongestant drugs and treatment of fever by antipyretic drugs like paracetamol. However with the secondary bacterial infection, antibiotics are required. Antibiotics are important to prevent further extension of infection sometimes resulting in lower respiratory tract infection. The broad spectrum antibiotics are used initially as first line of drugs and later if required if there is no response the antibiotics are changed according to the sensitivity report. Hence in your case antibiotics are required, hence I advice you to consult your doctor for prescription of drugs. Hope I have answered your question and the information is helpful to you. Thank you