What causes rightsided neck pain

For the past month or so I have had pain in the right side of the neck. The pain is intermittent and moves from area to area. Sometimes front sometimes back. Sometimes upper sometimes lower. Sometimes over the clavicle. The neck is puffy, soft and tender to the touch. There's does seem to be a stiffness in the neck, what feels like a muscle or tendon. There is also an intermittent swishing in that ear. Sometimes the ear feels congested. Within the last two years I had a coronary calcium score of zero and a negative nuclear stress test in August. I started swimming a few months ago. I still worry that this could be carotid in nature. I am female. 43 years old.
Posted Sat, 22 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Behar Greca 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Your problem is spondyloarthritis cervicalis... Detailed Answer: Hi, thank you for posting. Your problem is caused by spondyloarthritis cervicalis followed from radicular syndrome. Neck spondylarthritis affect neck vertebrae. This is inflammatory spinous process of vertebrae, that causes swelling of neck. Depending on the level of damage the patient has symptoms that determine the number of damaged vertebrae. When vertebrae C2, C3 and C4 is damaged the patient has occipital headache, blurring of vision, nausea, etc. When vertebrae C5 is damaged it causes chest pain that, and sometimes the medics suspect for cardiac disease, and after testing it the results are negative. To determine the condition of you need: -Neck echo doppler, to check carotid artery. -Neck X-ray. -Blood test, blood sedimentation rate. To treat spondylarthritis cervicalis is often used hot procedures and physiotherapy. The medicine treatment contain anti inflammatory and antalgezic medicines. You should contact a neurologist. Ask me for anything you don't understand. Dr. Behar.
Follow-up: What causes rightsided neck pain 5 hours later
Would carotid artery problems cause pain in the neck? Or the ears? Where is the eustation tube in relation to the carotid? What would cause this condition you discuss? I dont remember injuring myself.
Answered by Dr. Behar Greca 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Neck pain is caused by vertebral arthritis Detailed Answer: Thank you for wrting back. Well, there isn't a relation between eustachian tube and carotid artery. Spondylarthritis affect carotid arteries and these are the symptoms: -Headache, followed by decreased pupil size with drooping of the upper eyelid. -Transient vision loss. Neck pain is caused by vertebral arthritis and not by injuries. As for the carotid artery doesn't affect in neck pain. Dr. Behar.