What causes rib cage deformities?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
the left side of my rib cage is a little bigger than my right I have no pain and all my organ are in good shape from the complete abdominal I did. I was wondering if it is normal to have one rib cage bigger than the other? I am 26 years old, i am 5'2 and weight 117.
Posted Fri, 7 Mar 2014 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Quite common and usually do not denote any problem Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. Rib cage deformities(one side little bigger than other) are quite common and usually do not denote any problems, especially if they are not associated with any symptoms. Some spine/upper back curve changes are associated with the rib cage deformities. For evaluation chest x-ray and upper back x-ray are done . If the problems are mild; no treatment is done and only good exercises and sporting activities are advised. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care

Follow-up: What causes rib cage deformities? 44 minutes later
Thank you for you quick response. Do you recommend I get a chest x-ray and upper back x-ray? Do you think I was born with one rib cage bigger and I am just now noticing it? Thank you! I have no pain or back pain.

Brief Answer: Go for clinical examination and x-rays if required Detailed Answer: Hi, This could be due to some postural changes in upper back curve. Do not worry, just go for clinical examination and x-rays if required. Hope the information was helpful, if you have any further queries I am happy to answer, if no kindly close the query & give your reviews about this service.