What causes reddish rash around mouth and chin?

Hi, My Sister has a rash around her mouth and chin. It looks very much like a windburn, however she has not been exposed to the elements. It's a little itchy, but there are no blisters just red irritated skin. She has not used any new products on her face, in fact the only thing she has applied is Neosporin, an anti baterial ointment. Any idear what this can be, or how it can be treated?
Posted Sat, 4 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Maruti Karale 1 hour later
Brief Answer: herpes labialis Detailed Answer: Hi! Thanks for query. Reddish rash around mouth and chin that you described in history is likely to be due to herpes simplex or herpes labialis. Such type of infection is usually preceded by fever. Though it will resolve in five to six days normally, I would encourage her to get this checked bu a doctor. Acyclovir ointment can help for rapid recovery. Hope this answers your query. Thank you.
Follow-up: What causes reddish rash around mouth and chin? 2 hours later
I am absolutely sure that it is not Herpes as she has no blisters. I am very familiar with Herpes and all symptoms and appearance and I am 100 percent sure that it is not that. Do you have any other ideas on what this can be? Karen
Answered by Dr. Maruti Karale 3 days later
Brief Answer: contact dermatitis or peri-oral dermatitis Detailed Answer: Hi! Thanks for reply. Every time rash due to herpes may not be similar as you had seen it previously. But if you are sure that it is not due to herpes then another possibility that I would like to consider is peri-oral dermatitis or contact dermatitis. Images of rash would have helped more for definitive diagnosis. Please attach images if you are still in doubt. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health.