What causes rapid heart rate and warmth in body after drinking alcohol and taking Valerian and Hops?

I had a few drinks about 2 or 3 hours ago. I came home late and took Valerian and Hops to try to help me sleep. I got worried that it may have been a mistake so I did some research and it says it's not suggested. I have also been feeling very warm and my pulse rate seems to be very high (118bpm). I'm hoping this is just because I am worried and over reacting but now I am too worried to sleep. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Posted Thu, 9 Jan 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: Rapid heart due to alcohol+anxiety+hyperthyroid Detailed Answer: Hi friend, Thanks for your query. From the information provided, graves' disease as such causes typically high pulse rate along with anxiety. An alcoholic binge not only increases anxiety but also increases the heart rate. Hence, the rapid heart rate is the end-result of Grave's disease, alcohol consumption and acute anxiety. Alcohol consumption is a strict-NO in Grave's disease. Further, I presume that you have constant mental stress with anxiety. AT PRESENT, JUST RELAX! forget about the drugs taken for sleep; compose yourself; quit worrying and go to sleep. There is nothing to worry about. I would recommend that you cut down on alcohol; increase the dose of Propranolol to reduce Grave's disease-induced heart rate; take a short to medium-term course of anti-depressant + anti-anxiety drugs to curb your anxiety. Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with my opinion; modify the treatment for Grave's disease; and, prescribe appropriate treatment for anxiety, as advised by me. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal