What causes pounding in heart with acid reflux?

Hi, So the problem is from last month: 1. I can hear my heart beat loud and clearly, sometimtes I get so scared that it starts beating faster. I feel that I will have heart attack. If it happens in the middle of night, i wake up, drink water and it is normal. 2. I get this feeling that my back is aching which is making this problem above, when I get up in the morning, but after i have water it feels fine. 3. Sometimes i feel that somethign is stuck in my food pipe, since I feel it diffuclt to swallow water, there is little heaviness in my chest when drinking water. 4. SOmetimes I also get acid reflux in my mouth and I feel that if I burp, my heart beat would be normal History: None, but was told by my doctor that i have tendonitis in my feet, due to low magnesium, since my feet were restless and felt like stretching them all the time Medication: I got my ECG, glucose , BP level checked last month . They were all normal and everyone made fun that I had anxiety and stress. I was given Xaniac (not sure about spelling) and pentocid 40. I had pentocid 40 and felt fine, but how can i be acidic all the time. I am not doing anything different. But I should not feel like what I do now, it makes me feel discomfort all the time like my heart is sinking. I exercise regularly, no smoking, no drinking, I eat non vegetarian, fruits etc.
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: Your doctor will prescribe medicines advised by me Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. Your symptoms are indeed suggestive of chronic mental stress/anxiety and Gastro-esophageal Reflux Disease (GERD), which is commonly associated with a bacterial (H.pylori) infection of the stomach. A 2-weeks' course of anti-H.pylori therapy + Prokinetic drug such as metoclopramide + Probiotic such as, Lactobacilli; followed by (with effect from Day 15), 3-6 months' course of anti-acid drug (such as Rabeprazole or Lansoprazole) plus Probiotic and digestive enzymes, will cure GERD. You should however, consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with me and prescribe the advised curative treatment in appropriate doses. For chronic anxiety, you need a long-term treatment. Consult a Psychiatrist who will evaluate you and put you on an appropriate treatment for a few months. do not take the symptoms lightly. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Take care, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal
Follow-up: What causes pounding in heart with acid reflux? 35 minutes later
Thanks doctor. 1. I beg to defer on Chronic Anxiety. How could it suddenly appear last month, I am a happy person, I dont have any kind of serious stress,if anything, I am stressed about what i eat, how many times i exercise etc and also about getting a disease. No financial stress, nothin at all. 2. What about palpitations, why are they occuring. Also, they only occur when I am resting , not when I am doing something, or running or in any kind of work like in kitchen. Can I be deficient in Iron? My wieght is normal 56 Kgs and I am 5'5" 3. Are you sure of GERD? I don't understand any of the medication that you have listed. I live in South Africa, although an Indian citizen, I carry drugs like Pentocid 40, Dexorange with me. Can you kindly prescribe medication which is easier to understand, over the counter, and that i would find here.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Website policy prohibits online prescription Detailed Answer: I fully understand your apprehensions regarding anxiety. Most often, anxiety is inherent in the sub-conscious mind and remains dormant when the conscious mind is preoccupied. When the mind is at peace, as when resting, anxiety emerges into the conscious mind and manifests in various forms. Lot of individuals have anxiety as part of their mental temperament. Further, anxiety is a normal physiological reaction to certain situations and is therefore never experienced. However, an individual starts having anxiety symptoms, when it exceeds the threshold. This accounts for the problems perceived since the past one month. But in reality, anxiety has apparently, always been there in the subconscious mind. Hence, we use the term "chronic" for such conditions. As in your case, symptoms like rapid beating of the heart (with a NORMAL ECG) when you are scared of getting a heart attack; palpitations, acid-reflux, over-emphasis on diet, exercise; fear of having a disease; constant discomfort with episodic sinking feeling, are suggestive of acute, episodic anxiety. Anxiety releases adrenaline which causes the heart to pump blood harder than required. Thus, the blood gushes into the neck arteries, which causes you to hear the heart beats. If you wish to rule out an underlying heart problem conclusively, you may undergo 2-D Echo and Electrophysiological Study (EPS) IT IS NOW UP TO YOU TO EITHER HEED OR IGNORE MY OPINION. Try Xanax twice daily for a week and, thereafter; thrice daily AND SEE THE DIFFERENCE. Burps, heaviness in chest on drinking water, acid-reflux in MOUTH are features of GERD. Lastly, I have already mentioned the generic names of all beneficial medicines. However, the strict policy of this website- apart from professional ethics- prohibit me from writing prescriptions online. The purpose of online consultation is to apprise the patient about the general nature of his medical problems and guide as to how to proceed further. You may therefore, take a printout of my opinion, show it to a local doctor who will prescribe the advised medicines by their LOCAL BRAND NAMES, in appropriate/effective doses/frequency. I have no idea about the list of OTC medicines in South Africa. Take care