What causes popping sensation and groin pain post complete hip replacement?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
In Oct. 2008, fractured left hip. Since that time I have had a total of 5 surgeries, due to hardware failure. April 2010 was scheduled to have a complete hip replacement. Only had a particle hip replacement. From the first day of recovery I have had continued popping and groin pain. Considered a complete replacement surgery in Feb. 2013. Would be major complicated procedure. Due to other health issues primary MD and Cardio Dr. would not clear at that time. Now in Oct. 2013 Ortho surgeon not willing to perform surgery. Now taking pain management injections. Nothing is relieving the daily pain, popping and filling of dislocating of the hip. Help. 5+ years of constant pain and nothing seems to be improving.
Posted Thu, 6 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: Get x-ray done. Detailed Answer: Hi, I have read your problem. Since you have mentioned history of continued popping and groin pain even after partial hip replacement and pain management injections , it means that your operation was not that successful. You have also mentioned history of heart ICD, CAD, high/low blood pressure, bleeding ulcer, prior surgery L4-5, that is why your doctor is trying to avoid your further operation. One thing which is very necessary is that, you must get your x-ray pelvis with both hips in AP view and x-ray of affected hip joint in AP and Lateral view done send me the report and also upload the x-ray films. I want to see the exact condition of your hip joint. Only then your further management can be advised. You can also discus it with your doctor. If needed, your doctor may do your physical examination and after cardiac fitness he may advise you re-operation. After your physical examination and x-rays, send me report of physical examination and x-rays. Simply taking pain management injections would not help you. It is only by seeing above mentioned reports that your final diagnosis can be made. As you have mentioned history of bleeding ulcer you should always take painkillers by disusing it with your doctor and by yourself. Pain relievers that contain acetaminophen (Tylenol, generics) are the safest for you. I hope you have get your answer. You are welcome to ask further health related query. Thanks . Dr.Singh.