Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes pimple like bumps on the penis ?

Question
I have a lump under my jawline, about the size of a golf ball, but it occasionally shrinks in size. It doesn't hurt, and shifts slightly when I touch it. I went to the doctor, who told me that because it's "mobile" it's probably a blocked gland, but definitely not cancer. He also recommended an MRI, which I got. Upon examining the films, he now wants me to get bloodwork to rule out lymphoma, which he says is rare. Still, I'm very nervous about it all.Curious about the lump under my jaw
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 30 minutes later

It will be very helpful for me in understanding your condition better if you could answer some of these questions:

1) Is the lump soft to touch or hard in consistency?
2) Is the lump preceded by any viral infection or bacterial infection?
3) Is there any white or cream discharge from the lump?
4) Are you having any dental pain or infection?
5) Do you have any symptoms associated with the lump?
6) Are there any more lumps over the body?

Such kind of lump can be swollen lymph node, boils or abscess, cyst, salivary gland swelling due to tumors or salivary duct blockage.

As you have already got examined by a doctor and got a MRI scan for soft tissue growth, I would request you to discuss with your doctor regarding FNAB (fine needle aspiration biopsy). FNAB is aspiration of the material of the lump which is done by a fine gauge needle (22 or 25 gauge) and a syringe. This will confirm the diagnosis as most likely this lump is due to an infection causing an abscess, swollen lymph node or a benign or malignant growth.

Swollen lymph node is often caused by an infection, allergic reactions, cancer, metabolic diseases, and an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism).

Please reply back with the above answers as this will help me in suggesting you better.

Awaiting your reply.

Follow-up: What causes pimple like bumps on the penis ? 38 minutes later
Hello Dr. XXXXXXX and thank you for your reply. In response to your questions:

--It's hard, but a bit rubbery.

No, not that I know of.

--No discharge at all, it's all under the skin.

--I feel no dental pain or infection.

--I have no symptoms that I'm aware of.

--I have smaller bumps near my pelvic region, but they are more like pimples. I understand them to be ingrown hairs.

Thanks again, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for the clarification.

You are correct that the small pimple like bumps near the pelvic region can be irritated or infected hair follicles. But the non itchy, painless, rubbery swelling under the jaw does not sound like a pimple. It sounds more like a swollen lymph node.

It can be due to allergies, viral or bacterial infection like sinusitis, tonsillitis, sore throat etc.., cancer, metabolic diseases etc. Soft nodes are most likely infection or inflammation, firm but rubbery nodes could be lymphoma and rock hard nodes are more likely from some other type of metastatic cancer not lymphoma.

I suggest you an evaluation done from a physician and a FNAB done. Till then apply warm compresses on the lump as sometimes swollen lymph nodes in response to an infection may regress in size with warm compresses.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: What causes pimple like bumps on the penis ? 59 minutes later
Will do...thanks again for all your help!

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 8 hours later

Its our pleasure to help you. In case of any medical information, do tell us so that we can help you with your queries.

Take care and regards.