What causes painful dry skin patch under the arm?

Jan 2014

Two Skin rash patches right behind my underarm area towards my back. Itchy at first and i thought i just had dry skin. After a few days they became bumps and hurts a little. They dont look like blisters yet but it looks like they could turn into blisters. I bought an anti fungal, anti bacterial and anti inflammatory cream yesterday but i wanted to know if it could be anything serious and i need it checked? What are the possibilities of this kind of rash? I hope its not herpes. I had a cold sore a month ago.
Posted Tue, 4 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: Possibility of either Herpes or Furuncle Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for posting your concern at XXXXXXX fter going through your query, i would keep possibilities of either Herpes Zoster Or Furuncle. I wont recommend the cream that you mentioned because it probably contains a topical steroid which can make things complicated. I would advice a specific treatment after a confirmatory diagnosis. Herpes zoster commonly known as shingles has a viral etiology. Zoster is characterized by a painful skin rash with blisters in a limited area on one side of the body (left or right), often in a stripe. T4 dermatome which is the level of the Nipple, is a very common site. I would like to gather more information from you in order to be able to help you better. -When did it start (how many days)? -Can you upload a few clear pictures of the affected area for me to be able to be 100% sure? take care regards
Follow-up: What causes painful dry skin patch under the arm? 16 hours later
Please see pics attached. I started itching a week ago, then turned red and bumpy maybe 5 days ago. I'm feeling that it is drying out a bit after putting the cream but it is still painful to touch.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Herpes Zoster Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for the pictures which leave little doubt if any in my mind that it is herpes zoster. If i was your treating doctor than i would have asked you to take an oral antiviral like Acyclovir 800mg every 6hourly for a week. You can apply a topical antibacterial like 2% mupirocin which is available OTC. An OTC pain killer like ibuprofen once or twice daily will help you deal with the pain. Pain in zoster is more of burning, shooting or stabbing like in character. take care regards