What causes pain while sitting with a sprained knee?

General Surgeon
Hi I fell on my icy deck Tuesday and I have a sprained knee but I also hit my buttocks on the opposite side and it is black and blue and now the pain is terrible when sitting and laying, standing and walking seem to be tolerated better what should I do , let it be or seek medical help
Posted Sat, 15 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: You should see a doctor. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Black and blue indicates that the hit was quite strong. The pain can be caused just by soft tissues injury. However bone fracture (more possible if you have osteoporosis) and blood accumulation in the soft tissues (hematoma) is also possible. Bone fracture if left alone can cause permanent disability to walk. Hematoma can turn into an abscess and as the source of infection can be even life threatening. That is why it is advisable to visit a doctor. And X-ray should be done and ultrasound of soft tissues. In case of hematoma, it should be drained. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.