What causes neck pain and sharp stabbing abdominal pain?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
what causes sharp stabbing mid abdominal pain. I am 70 years old. left lower neck pain. Do I need to go to emergency. I have never experienced this breath taking pain before
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Sheeba Stephen 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

A sharp stabbing or acute mid abdominal pain can be due to the following causes:

- Acute gastro-enteritis - an acute infection and inflammation of the digestive tract, caused due to infections or food poisoning
- Acute pancreatitis - an inflammation / infection of the pancreas gland
- Acute appendicitis - appendicitis pain often begins in the mid abdomen before shifting to the right lower abdomen
- Small intestinal problems -like inflammation, intestinal spasm, diverticulitis, etc.
- Duodenal ulcer
- Vascular problems like occlusion of the blood vessels supplying the intestines

Considering your age and the sudden onset, severe nature of the pain, I would advise you to go to the Emergency for a proper evaluation and further treatment.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Sheeba Stephen
Emergency Medicine Specialist