What causes nausea after alcohol consumption?

General Surgeon
Hi, From the ages of 18 to 27 I drank alcohol regularly in excessive amounts. I continued to drink regularly, although much less in quantity until now at 33 years old. Recently, after I consume any alcohol at all, I feel nauseous. This has happened on at least five occasions. Is this a sign I may have done serious damage to my body from alcohol, or have I just developed an intolerance now? Could I have some other issue that when adding alcohol is causing nausea?
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: it may be either gastritis or liver damage. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX This is Dr. Ashish Verma, a general surgeon, answering to your query. There are two possibilities...first being that you may have developed alcohol induced gastritis, which is very common, but with this you must also should experience pain in your stomach. Second possibility is that of liver damage due to prolonged and excessive alcohol intake, this is also fairly common, this doesn't causes much pain. So, you need to first of all stop alcohol consumption, and get an ultrasound scan done to know the liver size and degree of fatty infilteration. Also get a liver function test done. Till then start on a PPI (Proton pump inhibitors like Omeprazole), if its gastritis, it will improve by that. Hope that i have answered to all your queries. If you have further queries, i will be glad to answer them. Regards, Dr. Ashish Verma