What causes lump on the right side of neck with rightsided headache?

I had my teeth cleaned a week ago by a hygenist. She said my gums were inflamed and even used some suction machine at the end of the procedure. The next day I noticed a lump on the right side of my neck and the bones in front of my right ear seemed protruded. That had never happened before. Now after a week the lump has subsided some, but I have a constant headache on the right side. It even hurts to brush my hair. What happened and should I be taking some medication?The bones were in back of my ear that were protruding
Posted Mon, 3 Mar 2014 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: Infection Detailed Answer: Hi, I have gone through your query. Symptoms and signs you have mentioned are suggestive of oral cavity infection. Lump on the right side of neck confirms this. Bony prominence at the back of right ear is mastoid process and swollen lump over it seems to be protruded bone. It size will gradually decrease as infection subside. Since you are having headache with it, I advise you to take medicines to prevent further spread of infection. Course of Antibiotics like cefexime along with Ibuprofen need to be started. Antiseptic mouth wash should be used after every time you eat anything. You will need to get a prescription from a doctor for the antibiotics. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.