What causes lower back pain after a C-section?

Hi, Iam 31 year old. I had C-section 3 years back. After that within 3 months I have inserted copper T. My periods prolonged to 10 days after that. Got severe lower back pain. Cudnt stand for even 10 mins. Got worsened with lack of sleept etc. After 1.5 years I removed copper T and my back pain reduced to some extent. Now I can stand without any problem for 30 mins to 1 hour. I had X-ray of my lower back and doctor said there is no problem and Back pain might be because of infection. I have used candid V6 tablets. Still no relief for my back pain. Please suggest what treatment I should go for?
Posted Sun, 2 Mar 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: Can be due to many causes. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. Lower back pain is quite common features following a Childbirth. This can happen due to pelvic infections; Vitamin D3 and calcium deficiency; muscle spasm; inadequate rest and wrong posture. It may radiate from lower back region to buttock, medial aspect of thigh or pelvic region up to vagina. Associated vaginal /urinary tract infection and intense stress may aggravate this condition. Here, I suggest you to consult with your gynecologist regarding this for complete physical examination including pelvic exam (with/ without speculum) to rule out underlying causative factor. Initial investigations like vaginal swab test and urine examination- routine & microscopic may need to be carried out. In addition, one MRI of lumbar region may be useful. In extreme cases, you should consult with orthopedic surgeon/ physiotherapist for complete recovery. Following things are very much helpful in preventing above condition: 1) Take proper antibiotic therapy/ suppository to combat vaginal/ urinary infection. Maintain genital hygiene properly. Drink more water/ fluids & empty bladder in regular interval. 2) Maintaining good posture during work or sleeping is much essential. Avoid sleeping on soft mattress. Foam or air mattress is quite comfortable. 3) Use hot and cold bag alternatively. You can lie on a heating pad for half to one hour, then replace it with an ice pack. Taking a hot bath with epsom salts can give some relief from low back pain. 4) Gentle stretching the back muscles & pilates classes (way of exercise for good health) are quite good for low back pain following a C-section. They strengthen abdominal muscles and make easier in relief back pain. In addition, yoga & pelvic tilts are very much helpful for lower back pain. Pelvic tilts means lying on your back with knees bent and your feet flat on the floor. Tilt your tailbone toward belly button while keeping your hips on the floor in a subtle movement. At the top of the tilt, you tighten butt muscles & release after that . Repeat this exercise 10-15 times daily to get relief from back pain in great extent. 5) Take healthy diet with consuming more vegetables/ fruits and avoid spicy/ fatty food stuff. 6) Use some medication like muscle relaxant gel for local application, take calcium & methylcobalamin (vitamin B12) supplements Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL