What causes little bumps on tongue?

ENT Specialist
Hello, about a year ago i notices a little bump on my tongue, it got a little bigger, but hasent changed in months for now. It is not painful, and it doesnt bleed, it is just there. Can you tell me what this could be? Thanks
Posted Wed, 1 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 42 minutes later
Brief Answer: Most probable a benign lesion Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. A bump on the tongue can be a normal taste bud which has become more prominent which is normal. Other causes of bump can be a: a cyst, a swelling because of constant irritation with a sharp tooth margin if any, neurofibroma, Papilloma, vascular malformation. All these lesions are benign and do not show much change in size over long periods. Other than this, uncommon causes can be malignant lesions over tongue which are more common in tobacco users. But these lesions do not remain static in size and also are symptomatic like painful, ulcerative, bleeding etc. So, your lesion which is asymptomatic and not increasing in size most likely will be a benign lesion or a taste bur only. Please consult an ENT for an examination and if he/she find it suspicious, may consider for biopsy. Feel free to ask another query. Regards
Follow-up: What causes little bumps on tongue? 1 hour later
Thank you for your answer. When i was at the clinic about my rhinitis, the oral doctor didnt really notice it even though he was inspecting my tongue, and my dentist said it could be from irritation or some kind of virus wart, and that i should leave it alone for a while, if it doesn't bother me, and i guess i will do just that. Just wondering what kind of HPV virus could cause that? I had warts on my hands when i was little, and one more not long time ago (at least i think it was a wart), and i was biting it sometimes, unintentionally. And I've also never been intimate with a person that had genital warts. I am in a monogamous relationship with my girlfriend for several years. If that is even important, because if i am not mistaken, that kind of transfer is extremely rare. Thanks again. Bye
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 9 hours later
Brief Answer: HPV 16 associated with malignancy, less common Detailed Answer: Thanks for your query. I have seen the pictures but commenting firmly on a tongue lesion without palpating it is not advisable. From the picture it seems like a benign papilloma/wart but a definitive comment can be made after palpation. If your doctor has told you not to worry about it, I can suppose that this lesion does not has any induration around it. HPV associated with oral warts/papillomas is a low risk HPV and only HPV 16 is mostly associated with malignant lesions of the oral cavity. TO relieve the fear factor, a definitive measure is to get it excised and biopsied. Enxision should be with the base. Feel free to ask another query. Regards
Follow-up: What causes little bumps on tongue? 40 hours later
Ok, thank you. For now i will just leave it, in a few months i have an appointment with oral doctor about rynhitis and then he can take a look at it again. One more thing though; From where you think i got this, or what are the possibiiites for getting it on a tongue, if it actually is a wart? Because this is probably bugging me more than a bump itself :). You've been very helpful, thanks.
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 13 hours later
Brief Answer: U will have no issue waiting till your appointment Detailed Answer: Thanks for your query. You can leave it as such and observe till your appointment if it is not causing any symptoms and is not increasing in size. The only symptoms it will give can be some foreign body sensation. The cause for wart is mostly viral infection and these can be because of a fresh infection from the virus, may be by a contact or the activation of an already existing dormant infection in the body which is very common and is considered harmless. From where you got it can be any body's guess as the environment has got so many such infectious agents which exist as we also exist. So, relax and nothing to worry. Feel free to ask for another query. Regards