What causes less semen volume?

sometimes after sex I go to the bathroom and it does not look like there is any semen there. Most times when I go to the bathroom I can see the semen. But sometimes I see very little or no semen. My husband says he has climaxed and his body definitely acts like he has orgasimed but i just don't always see any semen. Is this common? Is there any case where I might not notice any semen when I go to the bathroom after we are done? We are trying to have a baby so I am a little concerned about this.
Posted Fri, 21 Feb 2014 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: Normal volume is 1.5 ml, which might be missed. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX Normal semen volume is usually just 1.5ml. During every ejaculation the volume is different, so you cannot really say whether there was semen or not. Repeated ejaculation can decrease the semen volume. If there is normal sexual intercourse (i.e normal erection & normal ejaculation) and normal semen parameters (i.e normal sperm concentration and good motility) then I personally feel you dont have to worry about semen. Considering your age you also need some investigation like ovarian reserve and check for fallopian tube patency. If everything is normal then it is known as UNEXPLAINED INFERTILITY, which is seen in 10% of infertile couples. Then the treatment will be ovulation induction and Intra uterine insemination. Please ask if you have more questions. If you are satisfied, please make sure that your ACCEPT my answer so that I receive credit. Good luck!!