What causes lack of periods after tubectomy ?

I am 33 years old married female with 2 kids. Tubectomy done. Not getting periods since last 2 months. My gynec advised to take regestrone for 5 days and Novelon for 28 days after the periods. At present i finished regestrone course for 5 days but not got my periods and instead feeling heavy in my lower abdomen. Please advise. My weight is 68Kgs & height is 157 cms
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 21 minutes later

If you are not having any periods even after finishing a regesterone therapy for 5 days, then the following causes needs to be ruled out :-

1. Pregnancy due to ligation failure - urine test will help in excluding ligation failure.

2.Thyroid hormone deficiency- A simple blood test will help in excluding hypothyroidism.

3. Premature menopause- Blood FSH levels will help in diagnosis.

I suggest you to wait for at least 5 days after completing the progesterone therapy for the periods to start. If after 5 days periods do not occur, then investigations are entailed. Please visit your gynecologist to undergo physical check up and also to undergo relevant investigations required in your case.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: What causes lack of periods after tubectomy ? 39 minutes later
T3 & TSH done and report is normal. No complaint of sugar & BP. ultra sound scan report also normal. I am frequently facing this problem and gaining weight. kindly advise.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

You also need to get your serum FSH and LH levels checked to rule out premature menopause after consulting with your gynecologist.

PCOD is also a possibility that needs to be ruled out.

Weight needs a separate overall assessment as it might happen due to reasons other than hormonal disorders.

Hope this answer is adequate.

Wishing you an early recovery.

Follow-up: What causes lack of periods after tubectomy ? 14 hours later
is it safe to use Novelon once the period starts, for 3 months as it is steroid?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 40 minutes later
You can safely use novelon after your periods start as that will also help in regularizing your periods.