What causes itching on scrotum and foreskin?

Apr 2014

Hi, I have been experiencing an itchy scrotum and foreskin for the last 4 days. The underside of my penis near the glands, including the area underneath my foreskin is itchy. I don't scratch it to make it worse but I do relieve the itch when I shower and the hot water hits it. it's not very red, and you can barely tell anything is visually wrong, just a bit irritated. The penis itself is not itchy either. I originally used gold bond to lessen the itch but it only helped periodically. I just started using hydrocortisone today and it has helped a bit with the itching. What is the fastest way for this to go away? Any suggestions?
Posted Thu, 6 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Use combination of steroid and antifungal. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to HCM Itching may be due to many reasons.It may be due to infection,allergy etc. Infection is usually due to fungus whereas allergy may be due to sweating,lubricants etc. In these cases itching should be treated with antibiotic, antifungal,antiallergic or steroid cream. If they still persist than it's perhaps a condition which needs to be further investigated.Then you may need proper clinical examination. You are using hydrocortisone(steroid)only.I suggest you to use combination of steroid and antifungal ointment twice daily for six to seven days. You should also take antihistaminics like tablet levocetrizine once daily at night for seven days . You should try to keep the area dry.It is important to wear clean and dry underpants to prevent further sweating and itchiness.You should regularly clean the collection(smega)present undersuface of prepuce. You are doing right thing by not scratching the area. You can also upload the photos through attachments of healthcare magic. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Follow-up: What causes itching on scrotum and foreskin? 23 minutes later
Dr. Indy, Thanks for the follow up. How do you suggest using both antifungal and steroid throughout the day? Do I apply the ointments at the same time or switch on and off? What antifungal ointment do you suggest using coupled with hydrocortisone? Are the antihistimitics over the counter? Also, there is no smega present just a little redness. Is sexual intercourse if the problem subsides over the next few days. My girlfriend will be in town in a week. Thanks in advance
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Please find detail answer below. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing back You can use Clotrimazole Betamethasone Cream.It is the combination of antifungal and steroid.You can apply twice over the area daily. Antihistaminics like Levocetrizine is commonly available over the counter. There is no problem in intercourse after treatment. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX