What causes itching and swelling of the vagina?
User rating for this question
I am 77years old and have serve itching in my vagina the outer side (lips) get white and very sore what is causing this and should I be concern????
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: ATROPHIC VAGINITIS IS MOST LIKELY. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. In your case, the most likely cause is Atrophic Vaginitis. Due to age related local hormonal deficiency, the vaginal lining becomes thin, friable, and very fragile. It becomes prone to infections and breakage, thus leading to itching, rawness and soreness. You should get this diagnosis confirmed by a gynecologist. Topical estrogen creams will provide the best relief. Also, a superimposed vaginal infection should be ruled out and if present, treated. So yes, do see your doctor. It is a good ideal to get your blood sugars tested also. Meanwhile, do rule out the possibility of allergic ( contact ) dermatitis - anything like toilet paper, latex, synthetic undergarments, soaps, gels, medicated or perfumed douches can cause this. Just wash the private parts with plain lukewarm water and XXXXXXX dry gently with a towel. Avoid scrubbing or cleaning over vigorously. All the best. Please feel free to discuss further.
People also viewed
- What causes itching and inflammation in the vagina
- Swollen bruised labia minora
- What causes dryness and itching in the vagina
- Dark bruises spots on vagina
- Purple bruises near the vagina
- What causes swelling and redness in the vagina
- Bruised marks on vagina
- What causes the swelling and itching in vagina after waxing
- What causes swelling and itching in the vagina
- Clear fluid from big toe
- Hard round painful bump bu clitoris
- Genetic clubbed big toe
- Bifilac sachet with iron
- Pus from big spot smell cheese
- Compound fracture of big toe