What causes itching and swelling of the vagina?

Mar 2013
I am 77years old and have serve itching in my vagina the outer side (lips) get white and very sore what is causing this and should I be concern????
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: ATROPHIC VAGINITIS IS MOST LIKELY. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. In your case, the most likely cause is Atrophic Vaginitis. Due to age related local hormonal deficiency, the vaginal lining becomes thin, friable, and very fragile. It becomes prone to infections and breakage, thus leading to itching, rawness and soreness. You should get this diagnosis confirmed by a gynecologist. Topical estrogen creams will provide the best relief. Also, a superimposed vaginal infection should be ruled out and if present, treated. So yes, do see your doctor. It is a good ideal to get your blood sugars tested also. Meanwhile, do rule out the possibility of allergic ( contact ) dermatitis - anything like toilet paper, latex, synthetic undergarments, soaps, gels, medicated or perfumed douches can cause this. Just wash the private parts with plain lukewarm water and XXXXXXX dry gently with a towel. Avoid scrubbing or cleaning over vigorously. All the best. Please feel free to discuss further.