What causes inflammation on penis?

Hi, the rim of my penis head seems to be inflamed and slighty red. This has been going on for a little over a week now. Also when I have an erection the skin on the head of the penis looks dry. Ive had no problem urinating. It may also be slightly hot to the touch. Please help.
Posted Wed, 12 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Looks normal Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about your concerns and all the disturbing thoughts this must have caused you. I have reviewed the image and information provided and there is just no reason to get worried. The rim of this penis does not look inflamed. A capital sign of inflammation is pain and it would be extremely unlikely for an inflamed penis not to hurt when the glans are very very sensitive to sensations. I will advise that you don't get worried by this. Monitor and if anything abnormal should set in, let us know. Are you sexually active and do you always protect yourself during intercourse? Nothing here suggest an STD but, always endeavor to use condoms each time you have sex. I hope this addresses your query fully. Thank you so much for patronizing our services and please do feel free to ask for follow up clarifications and information if need be. I wish you the best of health. Dr. Ditah, MD.
Follow-up: What causes inflammation on penis? 10 minutes later
What about the issue of when I get an erection the head appears very dry but it tends to go away when it is not erect. Also there is one small spot of dry skin that will appear on the shaft sometimes when it is erect. I was wondering if it could be some sort of skin infection from dry masturbation and anything I could do about it.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 41 hours later
Brief Answer: Thanks for this follow up. Detailed Answer: The skin dryness is most likely due to the caused by the product you use in masturbation. It would be best to review this. It is not a sign of infection but product intolerance by the body. If you have change the product recently, then this is even more likely. Let me hear fro you whether the above information applies to you. Thanks. Dr. Ditah, MD.